STAR DREAM BOX - Francesca Dego
I work in the show business world, where having a personal style is very important. People are judged for it.
The acclaimed Italian violinist shares her fashion secrets.
Born in 1989, violinist Francesca Dego is a somewhat ambassador to the newest generation of Italian musicians around the world. Her passion for violin began when she was just four-years-old, and at the ripe age of seven, she exhibited in her first solo concert in California. Today, she travels the globe with her inseparable partner, a 1697 violin by Francesco Ruggeri. Her varied repertoire includes the likes of Stradivaris and Guarneris, whom she considers ‘great colleagues from whom there is a lot to be learned.’ Dego has been awarded many important accolades over the years and is considered one of the best Italian musicians. But her appeal doesn’t stop there; her looks are almost as striking as her music. She favors the elegant side of fashion, citing sophisticated evening gowns as her favored way of dressing.
- Who is your favorite composer?
- When I was a young kid I always responded to Vivaldi. I found him playful and bubbly. Now I like playing music by Romantic composers such as Brahms, Mendelssohn, and Schumann...without forgetting Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. I also love Paganini, our national pride. I think everyone should love and respect Paganini, and I like to play his music, although it still ‘frightens’ me.
- What plans do you have for the future?
- I have many! The first of 3 albums I recorded for the Deutsche Grammophon will be out this Spring. It contains the Beethoven’s Sonatas, performed with Francesca Leonardi, the pianist I play with since I was 15 years old. We will be on a tour around Italy, the USA, South America and China. I will also collaborate with various orchestras as a solo: I am booked for 70-80 concerts each year, not counting various album presentations and master classes.
- Where do you see yourself in 20 years?
- My dream is to keep on playing, and hopefully have a family. My biggest passion (after music) are animals. I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 8 years old and one day I’d like to find the time to commit to a project to help protect them.
- What is your relationship with fashion? What clothes do you like?
- I’ve always loved creating things and mixing colors and shapes. I work in the show business world, where having a personal style is very important. People are judged for it. I love long dresses as well as extremely short ones. I also like heels and have a real passion for boots. My favorite designers are Alberta Ferretti, Valentino and Max Mara.
- How do you choose what to wear on stage?
- The traditional way of dressing for concerts is wearing long evening dresses, and I love it. Usually I go for colored dresses because soloists have to stand out from the orchestra in big concert halls.
- What do you always bring in your suitcase during tours?
- Extra violin strings, my MacBook, Blouses, ballerinas and pants for the rehearsals. Miniskirts, long gowns and short dresses for other occasions.
- A lucky habit you always remember?
- My boyfriend Daniele Rustioni is an orchestra director. I put his cufflinks on before every one of his concerts.
I am booked for 70-80 concerts each year, not counting various album presentations and master classes. Right now, this is exactly what I want my life to be like.